Inheritance of Skeletal Atavism (Del)

Skeletal atavism is also a recessive trait and is inherited by both parents to get a dwarf foal.

 

It is important not to mate carriers to avoid breeding dwarf foals.

Big Skeletal atavism table

Table left shows all possibilities of combinations by mating normal, carriers and dwarfs.

 

If you mate carriers you have 25% chance getting a dwarf foal - in reverse 25% chance getting a healthy foal but a 50% chance getting a carrier again.

 

If you mate a carrier to a healthy horse you have a 50% chance getting a healthy foal or a carrier foal.

 

You should not mate dwarfs at all! They will always produce at least a carrier!

 

This possibilities and results are each time you mate the partners!


Crossing tables on skeletal atavism

Graphics by Liz C./Threnody works
Graphics by Liz C./Threnody works

This tables shows a carrier-cross.

If you mate two carriers of skeletal atavism you have a risk of 25% chance to get a dwarf foal.

But you also have a 25% chance getting a healthy foal.

The chance of a carrier-foal is about 50%.

 


Graphics by Liz C./Threnody works
Graphics by Liz C./Threnody works

This tables shows the possibilities in crossing a skeletal atavism dwarf to a carrier of sa-type.

 

As you can see you have a risk of 50% getting a dwarf foal.

 

In this combination you will never get a healthy foal.

 

You will always produce at least a carrier-foal with 50% chance.

 

PLEASE NEVER BREED DWARFS!


Graphics by Liz C./Threnody works
Graphics by Liz C./Threnody works

This table is pretty easy. Crossing two dwarfs will always produce a dwarf foal.

 

PLEASE NEVER BREED DWARFS! Dwarfs should never be bred because of the health risk! You never know if your dwarf will survive even the pregnancy not even thinking about giving birth!!


Graphics by Liz C./Threnody works
Graphics by Liz C./Threnody works

Here you can see how it would look like breeding a dwarf to a healty partner.

 

You will ALWAYS produce carriers!

 

PLEASE NEVER BREED DWARFS!


Graphics by Liz C./Threnody works
Graphics by Liz C./Threnody works

This should be you goal: Breeding with non-dwarfism-carriers.

 

In this case you breed healthy partners and you will always get healthy foals.

 

You can reach this goal with not breeding dwarfs at all. Try to heal your breeding stock with only breeding carriers in purpuse of getting healthy foals. With this healthy foals you can continue breeding healthy foals.

 

Or make sure you can find a healthy partner. So you can minimize the risk of even producing carriers (the more healthy foals).

 

Your breeding stock could be healthy in next foals generation!!

 

Wish you good luck!


Family tree - inheritance of recessive traits


Contact

Mrs. Marleen Binder

zwergenwuchs@mail.de

RIP: Daisy, skeletal atavism dwarf, 2006
RIP: Daisy, skeletal atavism dwarf, 2006